"The most important thing we can do for our horses is to educate ourselves the best we can on principles & factors of health & soundness." -loosie on Horseforum.com

Friday, March 18, 2011

Sun Bathing

Today is rather hot....around 86 degrees or so. It's 12.30, and almost the hottest part of day. I didn't want to ride at this time of day, and everyone was grazing anyway, so I decided to grab one of the horse blankets and lay them down on the ground to sun bathe. As a lay there, about to fall asleep I feel sort of cool- the sun was gone! A cloud? I opened my eyes and a big, bay head was above me, sniffing me. I laughed and tickled his muzzle and continued to shut my eyes. Not a moment later, I felt a hoof graze my shoulder! He was pawing at me! It wasn't hard like he was stepping on me or trying to hurt me or being careless, it was a very cute, but quite deliberate and gentle (as gentle as a horse hoof can be) "whatcha doin' down there?" I woke up and went through the back door and got a piece of bread for him. I stroked his head, which was still caked with the morning's mushy breakfast mash. He sniffed Red, my beautiful male rednose pit who was with me, looking for some more to eat. Then turned to leave with one last "are you sure there isn't anymore?" look. I love this horse! He is so dang cute!! All I can remember is when he didn't have a personality. When I first got him home, his eyes were dull...all I can describe it as, is "a horse on auto-pilot." He was so out of it, and to see him do stuff like this just makes my heart feel good. These are pictures from today...

You can see that he has started filling out better....his ragged winter coat is still coming out, though. Can't wait for it to go!
 Tex being curious and putting his nose up to the camera....
 Tex grazing with my little Samone <3

No comments: